These are the individual tractates of Zeraim, the first order of the Mishna. These descriptions are not meant as
Halachic decisions. Please consult an Orthodox Rabbi for specific information.
- Berachos - While this tractate is not directly relevant to the general theme of this order (agricultural laws), Berachos is, nevertheless, a good start-off tractate for the Talmud. It deals with the laws and philosophy of prayer and blessings, which is a central part of every Jews life.
- Peah - The laws requiring a Jewish farmer to leave parts of his crop for the poor.
- Demai - The status of produce about which it is questionable if proper tithes had been removed.
- Kilayim - The laws concerning forbidden mixtures (planting various crops in one field, plowing with work animals of different species, clothing containing both linen and wool).
- Shviis - The laws concerning the requirement for Jewish farmers in Israel to leave their fields unworked every seventh year.
- Trumos - The laws concerning those parts of Israeli produce that must be given to a Kohen (priest).
- Ma'asros - The laws of the tithes that must be given to a Levi.
- Ma'aser Sheni The laws of the secondary tithe that must be eaten only in Jerusalem (or redeemed with coins that are to be spent in Jerusalem).
- Challah - The the laws of the portion of dough that must be removed from baked goods and given to a Kohen.
- Arla - The prohibition of eating from the fruits of a tree in its first three years (and what the do with the fruits of the fourth year so they may be eaten).
- Bikurim - Describes the bringing of a farmer's first fruits to Jerusalem (in the time of the Temple).
Rabbi Boruch Clinton teaches at the Ottawa Torah Institute yeshiva high
school and Machon Sarah high school for girls (both in Ottawa, Canada).
You may reach him with comments and questions at
You can now read some of Rabbi Clinton's essays on Torah life at
You can also buy his collection of essays on
the Book of Shmuel (Samuel) in printed form at
Copyright © 2000 by Rabbi
Clinton and Project Genesis, Inc.
ACHAREI MOS AND KEDOSHIM:
There's Holy, and There's Holy
Shlomo Katz - 5760
Giving for a Good Cause
Rabbi Pinchas Avruch - 5762
All the Rest is Commentary!
Rabbi Label Lam - 5763
Motherhood & Shabbos Pie
Rabbi Mordechai Kamenetzky - 5759
Rav Chaim's Request For Forgiveness
Rabbi Yissocher Frand - 5768
A Tremendous Mitzvah
Rabbi Label Lam - 5774
Cloaked in Dignity
Rabbi Aron Tendler - 5761
Leap of Love
Rabbi Mordechai Kamenetzky - 5760
Don't Take Revenge...
Rabbi Yisroel Ciner - 5759
Aaron's Unlimited Access
Shlomo Katz - 5758
Love From Inside Out - Part 2
Rabbi Aron Tendler - 5763
The Omer and Holiness
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5774
In Hillel's Footsteps
Rabbi Yaakov Menken - 5760
Seeking Forgiveness Through the Goat of Azazel and the High Priest
Rabbi Berel Wein - 5771
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5763
Bread in Your Basket, but Not in Your Soul
Shlomo Katz - 5771