These are the individual tractates of Zeraim, the first order of the Mishna. These descriptions are not meant as
Halachic decisions. Please consult an Orthodox Rabbi for specific information.
- Berachos - While this tractate is not directly relevant to the general theme of this order (agricultural laws), Berachos is, nevertheless, a good start-off tractate for the Talmud. It deals with the laws and philosophy of prayer and blessings, which is a central part of every Jews life.
- Peah - The laws requiring a Jewish farmer to leave parts of his crop for the poor.
- Demai - The status of produce about which it is questionable if proper tithes had been removed.
- Kilayim - The laws concerning forbidden mixtures (planting various crops in one field, plowing with work animals of different species, clothing containing both linen and wool).
- Shviis - The laws concerning the requirement for Jewish farmers in Israel to leave their fields unworked every seventh year.
- Trumos - The laws concerning those parts of Israeli produce that must be given to a Kohen (priest).
- Ma'asros - The laws of the tithes that must be given to a Levi.
- Ma'aser Sheni The laws of the secondary tithe that must be eaten only in Jerusalem (or redeemed with coins that are to be spent in Jerusalem).
- Challah - The the laws of the portion of dough that must be removed from baked goods and given to a Kohen.
- Arla - The prohibition of eating from the fruits of a tree in its first three years (and what the do with the fruits of the fourth year so they may be eaten).
- Bikurim - Describes the bringing of a farmer's first fruits to Jerusalem (in the time of the Temple).
Rabbi Boruch Clinton teaches at the Ottawa Torah Institute yeshiva high
school and Machon Sarah high school for girls (both in Ottawa, Canada).
You may reach him with comments and questions at
You can now read some of Rabbi Clinton's essays on Torah life at
You can also buy his collection of essays on
the Book of Shmuel (Samuel) in printed form at
Copyright © 2000 by Rabbi
Clinton and Project Genesis, Inc.
PINCHAS AND THE THREE WEEKS:
Continuity or Bust
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5757
Manifestations of Mourning
Rabbi Yehudah Prero - 5758
When Moshiach Comes
Rabbi Label Lam - 5768
Make Your Presence Known
Rabbi Chaim Flom - 5767
Glass House Real Estate
Rabbi Yisroel Ciner - 5758
Pinchas & The Three Weeks
Shlomo Katz - 5764
Holidays, Technologies & the ‘Reel’ World
Jon Erlbaum - 0
Zealotry: How Far To Go
Rabbi Berel Wein - 5767
Only the Shadow Knows
Rabbi Aron Tendler - 5764
Rabbi Mordechai Kamenetzky - 5761
Brit Shalom, Shabbat Shalom
Shlomo Katz - 5773
Rabbi Naphtali Hoff - 5774
Paradigm of Peace
Rabbi Label Lam - 5764
They Can Assure a Cure
Rabbi Label Lam - 5773
From Rock Bottom to Bottoms Up
Jon Erlbaum - 0
In the Eye of the Beholder
Rabbi Yehudah Prero - 5766