The Month of Elul
3. Men renowned for their good deeds ("Anshei Ma'aseh") customarily check
their tefillin and mezuzos during Elul. Similarly, with regard to other
mitzovs, any matter that requires attention should be taken care of.
4. From the Shabbos that follows Tish'ah B'av, we recite the seven
Haftoros of consolation. Nevertheless, if the first day of Rosh Chodesh
falls on Shabbos, the Haftorah, "HaShomayim Kis'i " [Isiah 66:1] is
substituted for the Haftorah, "Aniyah So'arah" [Isaiah 54:11], which would
otherwise be recited], since [the former passage] also contains some
consolation regarding the destruction of Jerusalem. In such an instance,
the Haftorah, "Aniyah So'arah" is added to the Haftorah of Parashas "Ki
Seitzei", "Roni Akarah" [Isaiah 54:1], because they follow each other [in
the Book of Isaiah].
[The following rules apply] if one erred and recited the Haftorah, "Aniyoh
So'arah," instead of the Haftorah, "HaShomayim Kis'i:" If one remembers
before one recites the concluding blessings (after the Haftorah), he should
recite "HaShomayim Kis'i" and then recite the blessings. If one does not
remember until after one recites the concluding blessings, one should
recite "HaShomayim Kis'i" at that time without reciting any blessings.
In contrast, if Rosh Chodesh Elul falls on Sunday, the Haftorah, "Machar
Chodesh" [I Samuel 20:18], [which is usually recited when Rosh Chodesh
falls on Sunday], is not recited, because it does not contain any
consolation regarding the destruction of Jerusalem. Instead, the Haftorah,
"Aniyoh So'arah" is recited.
(1) Some have the custom to begin blowing the shofar on the first day of Rosh Chodesh.
(2) Hungary in the late 19th Century.
(3) There are several differences between the ruling of the "Kizur Shulchan Oruch" and the prevailing custom in some communities. Firstly, there are some communities that begin the recitation of "L'Dovid Hashem..."from the first day of Rosh Chodesh Elul. Secondly, in certain communities, it is customary to recite the psalm in the afternoon service rather than in the evening service. Also, in Eretz Yisrael, the Psalm is not recited on Shemini Atzeres itself.