Re: The Sacrifice of Isaac

Bill Bickel (bbickel@cris.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:32:23 -0500

Moshe Genuth <mag@parker.inter.net.il> wrote:
>I think that tests are not without value if one knows one is being >tested.
>As a simple example you might take basic training in the Army (at least
>it's this way in Israel) - you know that everything that's happening is a
>"simulation", that is, you're mind is being played with.

Very different thing: In Army training, you're learning to perform
actions, not being tested on how you'd honestly react in a given
situation.
The correct military analogy would be this:
You're told that the soldier standing next to you is a traitor and must
be shot. You're handed a loaded gun. There's a BIG difference between a
willingness (in training) to say "bang" and a willingness (in reality)
to perform the execution.

Bill Bickel