Re: The week of Creation

Jason Ertel (jasone@CORP.IDT.NET)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:42:06 -0500

Irene Bleiweiss wrote:
>There has been a recent discussion trying to reconcile our calendar of 5757
>years with the scientific belief that the earth is much older.
>
>My view on this is that a day or a year to G-d could be very different from
>what we as humans would consider to be a day and a year. As I read
>Bereshit, there were several days [e.g. there was morning and there was
>evening, the first day) before G-d even created the sun and moon (by which
>we humans count time). So maybe some of the 5757 years in our calendar
>might contain G-d length days (which might be the same as millions of human
>years)...

Just to clarify, the counting of the 5757 years in the Jewish calendar,
began with the creation of Adam, not the entire universe. As a result, to
reconcile traditional beliefs with those of "science", becomes more
feasible. There are many individuals, Rabbinic, scholastic and lay, who
would agree with something similar to the above theory, because the
revealed Torah (the book of Genesis,) has little to say concerning the
details involved with creation. In other words, outside of the narrative,
nearly anything is possible! It is in complete accordance with traditional
Judaism, to say that the process termed "creation", up to that of Adam,
took six days or a million years. Simply, we can not know!

The root of the problem in question, revolves around the definitive
statement that humankind as we know it, has existed for 5757 years, no more
or less. Those who are die-hard believers in the numerous theories of
evolution, have a difficult time accepting this, while the traditional
Jewish thinker does not. (Without getting into any detail,) it is taught
that 5757 years ago, the kind of soul that makes an entity a "human", was
introduced to the body of what would be called "adam", a being from the
dust of the earth. Whether or not the shell that houses the uniquely human
soul, had evolved or was created ex nihilo, is virtually irrelevant,
because any plausible answer exists in the form of speculative theories,
that may never be proven. One can ask, "What about cave paintings? Ancient
bones and the like, all of which appear to be tens of thousands of years
old?" Again, we go back to 5757. As stated earlier, the Jewish traditions
say that 5757 years ago, man became man as we are today! Before 5757, who
knows?!

It is interesting to note, that any knowledgeable historian or
anthropologist will tell you that there exists no evidence of written
language earlier than 5000 years ago. This would suggest that around this
time, something significant occurred... If you are interested in this kind
of subject matter you can read: SCIENCE IN THE LIGHT OF TORAH or GENESIS
AND THE BIG BANG.

Jason Ertel
Customer Service Mgr.
jasone@corp.idt.net