Re: Kiddush on Yom Kippur?

Shimon Lebowitz (shimonl@poboxes.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:12:04 +0200

Yosey Goldstein wrote:
> However many Rabbonim felt that even the chance that one
> would contract the illness because of fasting was reason enough to consider
> it a life threatening situation. (Pikuach Nefesh) On Yom Kippur Reb Yisroel
> Salanter got up at the Bima and he announced that everybody was required to
> eat and he made Kiddush at the Bima for the entire congregation, as is
> required before eating on any holiday.

This story is cute, but the same point would have been made if it was
recounted as 'he made a brocho and ate an apple', and when stories
contradict halacha, I think the details of the story can be safely ignored!

The Mishna Berura in Hilchot Yom Hakippurim, siman tav resh yod chet, para.
yod (618:10), in sub paragraph (siman katan) 29 states: [my translation]
and in any case he should certainly not make kiddush because it is a
possibility of being a brocho levatolo (wasted brocho)'

May none of us ever need to remember this halacha lemaaseh!

shimon
Shimon Lebowitz -----> Please note NEW email:
Jerusalem, Israel mailto:shimonl@poboxes.com
http://www.randomc.com/~shimon/ IBMMAIL: I1060211