Re: Thanksgiving

(Ben_Helmreich@gateway1.rnb.com)
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:59:17 -0400

Rafi Goldmeier wrote:
>"I have heard many different things about religious Jews celebrating
>Thanksgiving. Some say you should as part of Minhag America (custom of
>America) and some say you should not because of Chukos Hagoyim - following
>the ways of the Goyim and also because everyday should be thanksgiving...
>What is the consensus out in CyberVille about celebrating Thanksgiving?"

Reb Moshe Feinstein ZT"L wrote a teshuva (responsa) in an Am Hatorah
journal in the 1980's which dealt with this question. Reb Moshe concluded
that while eating turkey per se on Thanksgiving would be allright, going
the full 9 yards ie. inviting the family/friends over for a "Thanksgiving
dinner" would be problematic and, in fact, Assur (prohibited) because of
Chukos Hagoyim [following non-Jewish practices].