Re: Kiddush on Yom Kippur?

RabbiMarkS@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 14:29:32 -0500

Yanke Shuman wrote in TF V.4 # 6:
>Reb Yisroel, in publicly making Kiddush, was thus dramatizing the value of
> human life. "Va'chai bahem" - "And you shall live by them" (Lev. 18:5) He
> also secondarily taught the halachah of the requirement of that Kiddush.

I remember a number of years ago while I was a Madrich at Yeshivat Or Dovid
(then in Ramot, now in Gush Shmonim) a Yom Kippur Shmooz by the Rosh
HaYeshiva, HaRav Yosef Granofsky that underscores both Yossi Golstein and
Yanke Shuman's point.

That year the Yosh HaYeshiva was unable to give shiur during Elul z'man
becaus he and his Rebbitzin came down with Hepititus. That Aseres Yemai
Teshuvah (10 days of repentance between Rosh HaShanna and Yom Kippur)
Rebbi had to ask a Shaala (halachic query) because his doctor told him we
could not fast on Yom Kippur. Rav Chaim Pinchas Sheinberg, Shlit"a, the
Rosh HaYeshiva of Torah Ohr gave him the guidlines of how little to eat and
how often.

When he got up to give his words of inspiration, he explained that he had
to eat because of of the mitzva of "vchai bahem" but additionally, since
this was the situation he was in from some Divine decree of some sort it
was also his Avodas HaShem, (Sevice to our Creator) by eating that Yom
Kippur. The lesson being that we all have to do our own Avodas HaShem in
accordance to our relationship with the Al-Mighty and the situations He
puts us in.

That was nearly 10 years ago yet the lesson is with me every day! Thank
you Rebbi!

Rabbi Mark Schaffel
RabbiMarkS@aol.com