Re: Judaism and extra-terrestrial life

haviv@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 20:56:28 +0000

Russell Hendel wrote:
> Turkel, Klein, & Caesar (v2-87,85 etc) discuss the compatability of
> the Torah with extra terrestial life. I suggest that by viewing
> the Torah laws as dealing with __fundamental spiritual issues__
> we can easily argue that other planets if they had intelligent
> life would require a Torah like ours.

However, if we're just talking about animals or microbes then that
problem doesn't exist.

> Many people are unaware of a delightful study by the Rand
> Corporation, "Habitable Planets" by Dole, ...

When researchers discovered that life _used_ to exist on Mars (still
no evidence that it does today) they didn't point out that the
microbes could have come from earth via a solar wind.

> In the spirit of this book I would like to show how intelligent
> life on any planet would require a Torah much like our own:
> Intelligent life necessitates...

Non-Jewish PEOPLE don't need to keep Shabbos or Kosher. However, they
do have to keep the 7 laws of Noach. Question:what about primitive
cavemen in the Pacific Islands...they also don't know what the Torah
is.