Re: Tashlich

Eliezer C Abrahamson (abrahamson@juno.com)
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 14:37:43 EST

Micha Males wrote:
>Regarding Eliezer Wenger's post in V2 #88 about Tashlich [throwing crumbs
>into the water on Rosh Hashanah] seeming to be 'assur' [forbidden] on Yom
>Tov, I refer to the sefer Taamai Haminhagim. He's also not to happy about
>it. However, he does bring down a possible rationale for it. He says that
>just like we're showing mercy on animals, so too should Hashem show mercy
>on us at this time of year.

The rationale cited in Ta'amei HaMinhagim regarding showing mercy upon
animals so that HaShem will show mercy upon us is not given with
regard to feeding fish. It is citing a custom of a particular tzadik who
would feed cattle and horses on Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur for this
reason. Being that there is no halachic problem with feeding domesticated
animals on Shabbos and Yom Tov this would have no bearing on the custom
to throw bread crumbs to the fish.

Lazer

Eliezer C. Abrahamson
176 East 9th St., Lakewood, NJ 08701