Re: Judaism and extra-terrestrial life

Hillel E. Markowitz (hem@hrb.com)
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 09:53:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri., 24 Jan. 1997, Elliot Brandwein wrote:
> The universe was not created for any other creature besides
> humans. It is as unthinkable that any alien life would have any more
> of a Torah than a cow has on Earth. Nor would this alien have any
> more Bechira (free will) or Neshama (soul) than an animal.

I feel that I should point out that the Torah was written for us, here on
Earth and therefore would not include references to other planets. Once
past Noach, the Torah concentrates on Avraham Avinu and then on Bnei
Yisroel. It does not refer to the Chinese or the Australians any more
than it refers to ExtraTeresstrials. This does not mean that they do not
exist, or even have or not have a neshama or bechiras chofshis. It just
means that the particulars about them are not relevant to what the Torah
is saying to us.

Until we actually go and see for ourselves, the discussion is therefore not
relevant. Whatever we find out, we will deal with kehalacha( according to
the law) Whichever way it turns out, would not change how we regard the
Torah in our lives.

| Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz | Im ain ani li, mi li? |
| H.E.Markowitz@hrb.com | V'ahavta L'raiecha kamocha |