Re: Reward and Punishment Is It Justified??

Bernard Laufer (seeker1@gte.net)
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:54:22 -0500

I wrote:
> : E dies and he says to Hashem (G-d) that he doesn't deserve any
> : punishment in the World to Come for his evil deeds because He gave
> : him an inferior soul, and if he was given a soul identical to G then
> : he would not have become an evil person.

Micha Berger responds:
> This is assuming that we are judged by what we did in life on some
> absolute scale.

E is not making the assumption that we are judged on an absolute scale of
perfection, but he is saying that a superior or more determined soul (G's
soul) may have changed his striving to be good in his environment.

Let E = Esau and let G = Avraham Avinu. So putting this problem in concrete
terms, Esau is saying that if he were given Avraham's soul he would have
succeeded in his environment, and he would not have become an evil person.
If one can show that Esau's argument is fallacious by a logical proof only
with the use of basic axioms of Judaism then one has solved this problem.