Re: What is G-d?

Shlomo Godick (shlomog@ibm.net)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:48:39 -0800

Dov Laufer wrote:
>Thus, I have to take exception to what Dr. Hendel writes. I'll go
>along with omnipotence as a basic attribute of G-d since it can be
>directly derived from the basic attribute of perfection, but what
>does prophecy and reward and punishment have to do with being basic
>attributes of G-d? In fact Avraham Avinu was able to achieve a very
>high level of belief in G-d, and righteousness before he received his
>prophetic ability, and he was able to attain that just by observing
>and analyzing nature!

Aren't you confusing Avraham Avinu's *perception* of G-d with G-d's
*essence*? G-d will always be much much more than any one individual's
subjective perception of His Reality. G-d's relationship and communication
with man (through prophecy, prayer, and reward and punishment), that is,
His concern for and accessibility to man, seem to me to be extremely
important Divine attributes from the Jewish perspective.

Kol tuv,
Shlomo Godick
Rechasim, Israel