Re: Judaism and extra-terrestrial life

JKSinger@aol.com
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:31:51 -0500 (EST)

Elliot Brandwein wrote:
>The universe was not created for any other creature besides
>humans. It is as unthinkable that any alien life would have any more
>of a Torah than a cow has on Earth. Nor would this alien have any
>more Bechira (free will) or Neshama (soul) than an animal.

I found Elliot's comments quite disturbing. It is this point of view that
has led to the poisoning of our earth and the extinction of so many
species. Yes we are special to G-d, but we are told that we were created
last so that we would realize that even the gnat was created before us. We
are told that all of G-d's creatures, all life, is sacred. I have never
entertained the thought of another intelligent life form having Torah, but
it is not ludicrous. We are separtated from the animals by our
consciousness - we are conscious of ourselves and of our Creator. It there
is intelligent life elsewhere that possesses consciousness, then it would
stand to reason that G-d presented to them the option of accepting the
Torah. If G-d is the Creator, then G-d is the Creator of all possiblities.
The main thing is that we can't get too enamored with ourselves and the
wonderful gifts of intelligence and awareness that G-d bestowed upon us.