Re: Reading from Torah

Daniel Malament (danielm@j51.com)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:21:26 -0500 (EST)

Tszvi Klugerman wrote:
> In speaking to a number of Ivrit teachers who are masters of
> dikduk(grammar) the rules are followed in writing but not in speech since
> the goal is Ivrit Retzufah (a flowing languange).

It was my understanding that these rules actually are *designed* to
produce a flowing language - providing, of course, that one speaks the
language as it was originally spoken, and that one's auditory
sensitivities are not corrupted by the sound of another language. Those
of us whose first language is not Hebrew may find some of these rules
counter-euphonia, as it were, but the true pronounciation of Hebrew
involves a somewhat different sound pattern from (for example) English.

Dan