Re: Cloning and Halacha

Mordechai Perlman (aw004@freenet.toronto.on.ca)
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:04:54 -0400 (EDT)

friedmaa@VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU wrote:
> Personally, I also find human cloning terrifying. It seems to me that it
> has the potential for evil as well as good, and without proper
> restrictions on who may have access to the information, there is no
> telling what might occur. The benefits, i.e. gene therapy as well as
> thousands of Hitlers keep running through my mind.

Actually, they have not been able to clone thought patterns and
behaviour, only physical matter. And that shouldn't terrify anybody.
And even if they one day can clone such things, as long as they clone 2
or more of the same guy it won't be any problem at all. Because if there
was someone exactly like you, they would think exactly like you and do
the same things as you. It would want to sit where you are, stand where
you are, eat what you're eating, marry who you marry, to be in the same
place at the same time, in the same way as you. Two such beings will not
last, they will either perpetually fight or be at a loss how to proceed.

Mordechai Perlman