Re: Matriarhs

Nachum Kosofsky (kosofsky@juno.com)
Mon, 05 May 1997 22:46:40 EDT

Marion Stefaniu wrote:
>Almost in every reference I saw about matriarchs, only 4 of them are
>mentioned. Yet, the 12 sons of Israel come from 4 mothers, which could lead
>us to believe that, in fairness, we should recognize all 6 matriarchs. Why
>don't we do that ?

The Talmud Bavli in Berachos (16b) states:

The Rabbis taught: We only refer to the Patriarchs as three and we only
refer to the Matriarchs as four. Why is this true [that there are only
three] Patriarchs? If we would say that we cannot know if we come from
Reuven or if we come from Shimon [i.e. we can only trace our lineage back
with certainty to Avraham, Yitzchok, and Yaakov and not to any one of the
sons of Yaakov], if so then the same [could be said about] the
Matriarchs: we cannot know if we come from Rachel or if we come from
Leah. Rather, [the answer is that] up to this point [i.e. Avraham,
Yitzchok, and Yaakov] they were highly regarded, after this point they
were not [as] highly regarded.

The Talmud here seems to indicate that Avraham, Yitzchok, and Yaakov are
considered Patriarchs, not because of our natural relationship to them,
that they are our ancestors, but because they were great individuals and
"highly regarded" -- *chashivi*. This, we can assume, must be case for
the Matriarchs as well. Sarah, Rivka, Rachel, and Leah are not
Matriarchs because we are descended from them, for we are descended from
Bilha and Zilpa as well, but because of their own personal greatness.
The Talmud is telling us that the three generations of the Patriarchs and
Matriarchs were unique and formed the roots and foundation of the future
nation of Israel. The three Patriarchs and the four Matriarchs were each
instrumental in the spiritual formation of Klal Yisroel. We are all the
children of Rachel and of Leah, just as we are the children of Sarah and