Re: Are turkeys kosher?

MARSHA B COHEN (MCOHEN02@servms.fiu.edu)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hank Citron wrote:
>Aharon Wexler asks about the issue of turkeys being Kosher. While not
>mentioned in the Torah, turkeys are considered kosher because we have a
>tradition of eating such or similiar fowl if prepared in a kosher
>manner. This is the acceptable position followed by most Halachic
>authorities and so we find Empire in our midst.

Chickens aren't mentioned in the Torah either!

I recall reading once that if chickens had been known in Eretz Yisroel (the
Land of Israel) before the destruction of the Bais ha-Mikdosh (Temple),
they would have been considered unclean birds and rendered treif
(unkosher). However, since they became known afterwards, they were
permitted. Can anyone provide the authoritative source for this statement?

Marsha Cohen