Abel's sheep

Yisrael Herczeg (yherczeg@netmedia.net.il)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:17:41 +0300 (IDT)

Dovid Teitelbaum wrote:
>I don't know where people get the idea that one was not allowed to eat meat
>until after the Mabul (flood), the only requierment that one finds in the
>Torah is not to KILL animals. Maybe Abel waited till they died and then ate
>em.

This is a matter of dispute between Mizrachi and Gur Aryeh in their
comments to Rashi Bereishis 1:29. Mizrachi is of the opinion that it was
only killing animals for meat that was forbidden, but that eating meat was
permitted if the animal died some other way. According to Gur Aryeh, before
the Flood it was not permitted to eat meat at all.