Abel's sheep

Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:28:29 -0400 (EDT)

Dovid Teitelbaum wrote:
>I don't know where people get the idea that one was not allowed to eat meat
>until after the Mabul (flood), the only requierment that one finds in the
>Torah is not to KILL animals. Maybe Abel waited till they died and then ate

Tosfos (group of talmudic commentators) in trachtate Sanhedrin 56B, DH
(opening words) "awchal," makes this very point. The fact is (according to
Tosfos) that G-d prohibited the slaughtering of animals for personal non
obligatory consumption (slaughtering for sacrifices or clothing, etc., was
always permitted) but *permitted* the eating of animals that died some
other way.

Yitzchok D. Frankel
Long Beach, NY