Re: Age of the Earth

Irina Sigal (ixs3850@megahertz.njit.edu)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:37:46 -0400 (EDT)

Lazar <L_ROZENBLAT@compuserve.com> wrote:
>I would like to know how modern Judaism deals with scientific claims about
>age of the Earth. Could somebody recommend me literature or a WEB site?

There's an excellent book called "Genesis and the Big Bang" by Rabbi
Schroeder (I'm not 100% sure whether that is the correct spelling of his
last name) that deals extensively with this issue. He is a former
astrophysics professor from MIT and knows a lot about this issue. I've never
actually read the book, but I listened to a tape where he is lecturing on
some material from the book. I think both, the book and the tape, should be
available in most Jewish book stores. There is also an web site called
www.jencom.com/2001 that deals with related issues (evolution in
particular). I would advise everyone to look at that site -- it has a very
original approach to the topic of evolution, some great discussion points to
ponder about, and amazing graphics.

Irina Sigal.