Re: Adoption

Eliezer Wenger (ewenger@ican.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

I previously wrote:
>Among the postings it has been mentioned that when dealing with a
>non-Jewish child, the child needs to undergo a conversion process and at 13
>years old has to declare whether he wants to accept the Judaism. I just
>want to point out that there are present day Poskim(Jewish law authorities)
>who permit the delaying of this declaration until 16 since many children at
>this age, especially if they haven't had positive religious experience
>would definately decline.

In regard to my posting above, I received on my email a request for
sources. I don't have any sources off hand, but around 20 years ago I had a
student who was adopted and becoming Bar mitzvah and at that stage, he
would most likely have declined; I was told in discussions with other
members of the staff that were more personally involved that there was a
Psak (Halachic ruling) that he can wait until 16. Being that this happened
so long ago, I don't remember any more who gave this Psak. My main point is
that when one is in a situation such as this, one needs to be in
consultation with proper Halachic authorities.

Eliezer Wenger